___ __ _______ / / (__) / ___/ / / ___ / / / /____ / /______ / / / ___ |/ // ___ \ _____ |___|___ / / / // // /__/ / /____/ ___ / /___/|__/ /__//__// .____/ / / __/ /_ ____ _____ ___/_ /___ ______ __/ /_ /_ __// __ \ / __// __// _ \ / __ /_ __/ / /_ / /_/ // / / / / ___// / / // /_ (____/ \____//__/ /__/ \____//__/ /__/(____/ presents CHIP MUSIC IS DEAD dot Manifesto
On the 31 of August, 2007, Ignatz posted a manifesto on both the Micromusic-forum and the LSDJ-mailing list where he declared the chip music dead. Why? Because he thought that Teh Mainstream is reaching to grip around the fragile retroneck of chip with it’s laws of consuming that turn everything it touches into shit and effectively kill everything the culture stands for.
This compilation is a reaction to that manifesto. Is chip music and culture truly dead? Is that a good thing? Is Ignatz wrong? Will we be consumed by Mainstream? How can we defend ourself against the “threat”?
This compilation is also the first release by the new netlabel Chiptorrent, which will mainly create theme-compilations released ith the help of the very excelent BitTorrent-protocol. See more: https://chiptorrent.wordpress.com/
Everyone is welcome to send material. And by everyone I mean _everyone_. Not only Tracking purists, but pixel artists, ascii wranglers, gfx haxers, retro beauties, troll-whores, and democoders: Everyone who got anything to say on this subject should do so. Hopefully, this compilation will be full of content from many types of media: Music, pictures, ascii, text, podcasts, software, anything which suites you best.
All participants are encouraged to send their work to me at operagasten -atatat- gmail -dototot- com , in the form of links (not myspace!) or attatchments. I’m also a frequent visitor of #8bc on Freenode.
Last date for material-submition is Sunday 18/11 -07.
This is some highlights from the beginning of the thread on the LSDJ-mailing list. Use this for inspiration.
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9577 – Ignatz’s message that started it all
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9578 – “A scene does not truly start to live until it is declared dead by its members”
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9581 – “seeing a scene dyingreally isn’t the deal. The first time it’s a shock, […]”
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9583 – “i wouldnt worry about hiphoppers using arpeggios or raw waveforms or whatever. if they want to mix musical styles, sure. its ok.”
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9584 – Ignatz’s answer. “Lets Blend it, talk shit about it, destroy all credibility on chiptune and chip music.”
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9585 – “Just shut up.Please.”
- http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/message/9589 – Johan Kotlinksi: “I guess it mostly died in the 90s, when sound chips were replaced with sample playback.”
- There is many, many more good posts in the thread. Read them here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/lsdj/msearch?query=dead+manifesto&pos=50
- Also, read the thread on http://www.micromusic.net/ (if you can find it)
And Please, do not make this a bash-Ignatz-compilation!